If you feel that JSonar project makes your day brighter or make your passion
possible or, better yet, help you to earn your living or pay your bills, use the
„donate“ button below to show your appreciation for the work we do.
Our current donors.
The new version of Cakewalk Sonar, called Sonar X1, has been out for a couple of weeks now. However, you have not seen anything about this release or not even a mention of the latter on this blog. Wonder why?
The answer is fairly simple: lack of the accessibility features in the new version of the software to call it a usable product for those who rely on screen readers to operate the computer and, subsequently, compose and record music. While there exist several work-around ways to get access to some of the features, we have lost a lot more as far as the general accessibility of the product is concerned. Here are some of the highlights:
- It is very difficult to reliably retrieve the „from“ and „thru“ selection points in the project.
- All of the accessible toolbars have now been replaced with completely inaccessible „Control Bar“, thus shutting off the screen reader users from being able to operate the view-specific features.
- There is no longer an easy way to open the synthrack view without clicking with a mouse.
- The new plugins such as „Cakewalk Sound Center“, „SI-Bass Guitar“, „SI-Electric Piano“, „SI-Drum Kit“ and others cannot be operated via keyboard or a screen reader.
In all fairness, the „Loop Browser“ has been slightly improved although, again, it is not reachable via keyboard.
It is unclear what, if any, plans Cakewalk has regarding the accessibility of Sonar X1, but right now we are asking screen reader users to stick with one of the earlier versions of Sonar or look for other alternatives.
Recent blog posts
- Is Cakewalk Sonar about to become accessible for blind musicians again?
- JSonar 8.5.3 is now live!
- JSonar 8.5 Beta with fixes for JAWS 13 users
- How to Record Music on a Windows Computer – A Free Video Guide
- JSonar beta with support for displaying meters on a Braille display
- Welcome JSonar 8.5.2!
- ViewPoints podcast on Sonar and JSonar
- JSonar.org is back online!
- JSonar 8.5.1 Is Live!
- How to quickly uninstall JSonar on Windows 7 OS?
- How to effectively use Sonar's Track Inspector with JSonar?
- Why does JAWS crash when I use Hot Spot Clicker?
- How do I install JSonar on a Windows 7 64-bit OS?
- How do I use Media Browser in Sonar 8.5 with JSonar?
- How do I use SessionDrummer3 with Sonar 8.5?
- I am no longer able to Control+Tab between open views in Sonar 8.5, why?
- How do I close or turn off the "Quick Start" dialog in Sonar 8.5?